Friday 10 November 2017

Pickled Onion Chicken With Roasted Peppers Recipe / Sirka Pyaz Murgh Bhuna Hua Hari Mirch Ke Sath


Going to my parents home every single time feels like walking into that attic where all my childhood toys, story books, pictures, that doll from whom I was inseparable through my toddler years have been carefully stashed away. The joy of, (for once) someone looking at me with so much love as I lie enveloped in slumber with a smile caressing my lips, then gently stroking my forehead and tresses, lightly nudging me to wake up, is truly indescribable. Many years have trotted by and changing of roles have taken place as I now habitually look at a fairy face, fast asleep and then run my fingers through her silky mane, gently coaxing her awake. Yet I so look forward to this role reversal every year and totally bask in its warmth and tenderness.


Sitting at the breakfast table in my pajamas, in a home filled with familiar sounds and smells, not having to look at the watch, not having to worry that I had an extra of Ma's delish Radhaballavis, chatting without a care, fingers tinted in her yummy bhanga aloor torkari (potato curry), free from all the worldly shackles, ah this is what I would think Utopia would be like. Even before the breakfast can glide through the esophagus into the gut, I am ready with another list of dishes that I would like to have for lunch. God only knows from where I get that voracious appetite to savor up every single morsel on my plate and even then not have to shove in a single antacid down my throat fearing indigestion. I guess unadulterated happiness is the mantra to a healthy body and no amount of exercise or the right diet can achieve for the body which such unfiltered joy can achieve.

Now that my suitcases are packed and I am hardly able to focus on anything, totally engulfed in that unabated euphoria of my impending trip to my cocoon of familiarity and comfort, I would not shy away from telling you beautiful people that my Blog will not have a new post after this one till I am back. So till then, keep gracing this space, keep your love, encouragement and words of gold pouring in. I promise to be back with more culinary adventures and dishes which will make your eyes dance in delight and your taste buds go berserk with yumminess. So I thought of leaving you with an unusual chicken curry over this weekend. Infused with the aromatic essence of smoked Green Chillies and spiked with onions pickled overnight in Vinegar, the Pickled Onion Chicken With Roasted Peppers, will not fail to sweep your taste-buds off their feet. 

Sirka Pyaz Murgh Bhuna Hua Hari Mirch Ke Sath is a dish which is quite a revelation as you slowly run through the different flavours of the dish. Sirka is the Hindi word for Vinegar. In this dish Onions are pickled in vinegar, overnight and peppers are roasted on an open flame to seal in the smokiness. Though the nomenclature of this dish may sound exotic, in reality this is a simple, straightforward dish, which can be rustled up in no time. The tang from the pickled pearl onions, is accentuated by the smokiness of the roasted green chillies in a simple chicken dry curry. This dish gives you another nouvelle chicken curry, which is sure to be a palate pleaser. So let's have a look at the ingredients.

Pickled Onion Chicken With Roasted Peppers Recipe / Sirka Pyaz Murgh Bhuna Hua Hari Mirch Ke Sath 

AUTHOR ~ PIYALI MUTHA
SERVES ~ 4CUISINE ~ INDIAN / NORTH INDIANTYPE ~ DRY CURRYTIME ~ 15 MINUTES PREPARATION + 30 MINUTES COOKING + OVERNIGHT FOR PICKLING ONIONS

INGREDIENTS ~


1 Kg Chicken, on the bone, curry cut
4 ~ 6 Green Chili Peppers, long fat ones with less heat

FOR THE MARINADE ~

1/2 Lime Juice, to marinate the chicken
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Turmeric

FOR PICKLING THE ONIONS ~

1/2 Cup Pearl Onions
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
1/4  Cup Water

FOR THE DRY GRAVY ~

2 Tbsp Oil
2 Large Onions, Thinly Sliced
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
1/2 Tbsp Ginger Paste
4 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
2 Tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped
Salt to taste

FOR GARNISHING ~

Pickled Onions, A few
1 Tbsp Ginger Juliennes


Let's Cook Pickled Onion Chicken With Roasted Peppers Recipe / Sirka Pyaz Murgh Bhuna Hua Hari Mirch Ke Sath In Easy Steps ~

1) A night prior to preparing the Chicken Soak the Pearl Onions in diluted Vingar.
** Take a bowl. Add Water And Vinegar. Mix.
** Add the Pearl Onions. Cover and leave overnight.

MARINATE THE CHICKEN ~

2) Take a large bowl. Place the Cleaned Chicken Pieces in it. Add Lime Juice, Salt And Turmeric Powder. Rub the chicken pieces with marinade. Leave covered for later.

3) Wash the Green Chilii Peppers. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Make slits in them.
** Place a Wire mesh over the Gas Flame. Place the chilli peppers on that mesh.
** Roast. Keep aside. Alternately you can roast them as you wish.

PREPARING THE GRAVY~

4) Take a wok or pan. Add Oil.
** When hot throw in the sliced Onions. Saute the Onions till soft.
** Add Ginger, Garlic Paste. Saute till the raw smell disappears.
** Now add Tomato Puree. Saute till the raw smell of the tomato puree disappears.

5) Add the marinated Chicken pieces.
** Saute the chicken pieces nicely with the remaining ingredients in your pan for a couple of minutes.
** Add Roasted Peppers, Pickled Onions (Leaving a few for garnishing). Next add Cumin, Red Chili and Coriander Powder. Mix everything Well.

6) Cover and cook the chicken in low flame till done.
** Throw in Fresh Coriander Leaves. Mix.
** Finally add Garam Masala Powder, Ginger Juliennes. Mix. Check for seasoning and add Salt if required.
** Saute the Chicken till you have a dry gravy. Your Pickled Onion Chicken With Roasted Peppers / Sirka Pyaz Murgh Bhuna Hua Hari Mirch Ke Sath  is ready. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with Pickled Onions and Ginger Juliennes. Serve hot with Breads, Naans, Kulchas etc.

NOTES ~
** I have not added any water in this dish while cooking. But if you need water to cook the Chicken with the masalas, please go ahead and add it.
** I have also skipped adding Cloves as is added in the original recipe. My Garam Masala contains cloves and I didn't want duplication. But if you want go ahead and add 4 cloves  before adding the sliced onions in STEP ~ 4.
** I used long fat chili peppers. You may use any type only ensure that they are fat and is less hot. You can increase the quantity of Chili Peppers according to their size and intensity.








Reference ~ 

Chef Sanjeev Kapoor





Would Love To Hear From You. Do Leave Your Valuable Feedback In The Comments Below. If You Have Tried This Recipe Please Let Me Know How It Turned Out. If You Have Any Queries Regarding This Or Any Other Recipe In My Blog, Please Feel Free To Leave A Comment Here Or Email Me At piyalimutha@gmail.com . For The Latest Updates Of My Blog And Loads Of Food Stories Stay Tuned To My Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard Accounts. Let The Food Adventure Continue In Your Kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment