Monday 31 July 2017

Pesarapappu Timmanam Recipe / Andhra Style Moong Dal Phirni Recipe / Husked Split Mung Beans And Coconut Pudding Recipe


Eons ago when a lady looking like an Indian Goddess from my childhood mythological books, resplendent in a fuchsia coloured Kanjeevaram saree, with her tresses adorning jasmine flowers stringed together, had taken my hand and welcomed me into an abode which she had for years nurtured with love, care, discipline, traditions and deep rooted values, little did I realise that one day she would become my biggest strength and I would emulate her in all aspects of my life. As a coy demure bride, seeped in apprehensions, with a fluttering heart, I had held her hand as she led me one step at a time into her world, a world which she had created brick by brick through rain and sunshine, filled it with smiles, a world where love was genuine, selfless, a world which would become my refuge of comfort and solace for my entire life.


Everyone addressed her as Amma while I added Ma as a prefix and called her Mamma, cause she was everything and much more of the mother I had left behind in my house of birth. Not only did she address all my apprehensions with tenderness and warmth, she completely changed my idea (which had been instilled in my mind by friends and family) of the archetypal mother in law, winning my heart over with endearment and completely captivating me in her spell of affection. Nothing has changed in all these years, I still look up to her for every aspect of my existence, run into her arms for reassurance and succour and follow her blindfolded. She has also been my greatest school of learning and has been instrumental in sharpening my skills in the kitchen. My Blog owes a lot to her cause if not for her tireless support I would not be pursuing my passion, my love for all things related to food. 


The sweet dish I am sharing with you here is called Pesarapappu Timmanam / ThimmanamPesarapappu Timmanam is a slight variation of a very traditional Telugu dish called Thimmanam / Timmanam where rice has been replaced by husked split Mung beans / moong dal. Pesarappu is the telugu word for mung beans and Timmanam is a rice and coconut pudding which is made on the similar lines as that of Phirni. Timmanam is a very popular dish, made invariably on any festive  or celebratory occasion in Vizianagaram which is a district in the South Indian State of Andhra Pradesh. We are just welcoming the festive season in our home and thought this would be an ideal dish to herald the festivities.

Pesarapappu Timmanam is a very simple, quick sweet dish cooked with only 6 ingredients. It is tasty, flavourful and is one of those dishes which you can effortlessly prepare. Especially during any feasts, where you have a long list of dishes to put together, this sweet dish comes as a relief, as it can be rustled up in a jiffy and also for adding that yum quotient on your celebratory platter. So lets's take a look at the ingredients first.



Pesarapappu Timmanam / Thimmanam Recipe  / Andhra Style Moong Dal Phirni Recipe / Husked Split Mung Beans And Coconut Pudding Recipe ~

AUTHOR ~ PIYALI MUTHA
SERVES ~ 4
CUISINE ~ VIZIANAGARAM, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA
TYPE ~ SWEET DISH, PUDDING
TIME ~ 5 MINUTES PREPARATION + 20 MINUTES COOKING

INGREDIENTS ~

  • 1 Tsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
  • 1/2 Cup (125 Gms approximately) Husked Split Mung Beans / Moong Dal / Pesarapappu
  • 3 Cups (1 cup = 250 ml) Ltr Full Cream Milk reduced to 1 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut, grated fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar, use any (I used raw sugar)
  • 5 Green Cardamom Pods
FOR GARNISHING ~
  • 1 Tbsp Cashew Nut, halves for garnishing
  • 1 Tbsp Raisins
  • 1 Tbsp Pistachios, roughly chopped

Let's cook Pesarapappu Timmanam / Thimmanam / Andhra Style Moong Dal Phirni / Husked Split Mung Beans And Coconut Pudding in easy steps ~

1) Fry Cashewnuts and Raisins in a frying pan in clarified butter.

** When the Raisins become plump and the cashew-nuts brown transfer them onto a dish lined with a sheet of kitchen towel.

2) In the same frying pan fry the husked split mung beans.

** Fry till they turn golden brown.
** Add 1 Cup water to the Mung Beans in the frying pan.
** Increase the heat and bring to a rolling boil.
** Simmer and cook covered until soft.

3) While the Mung Beans are cooking, start reducing the full cream milk in a sauce pan.

** Reduce the milk to half its original quantity. Turn off the heat once done.

4) Once the Mung Beans are cooked remove the frying pan from the burner and cool.

** Transfer the Mung Beans into a food processor. Add Coconut, Green Cardamom and Sugar.
** Blitz into a smooth paste. Transfer back into the same frying pan.

5) Add the reduced milk slowly to the paste in the frying pan.

** Stir and mix well dissolving all the lumps.
** Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
** Remove the frying pan from the burner immediately. Garnish with nuts and raisins. 

Serve hot or cold. If desired spoon in clarified butter on top.






Would Love To Hear From You. Do Leave Your Valuable Feedback In The Comments Below. If You Have Tried This Recipe Please Let Me Know How It Turned Out. If You Have Any Queries Regarding This Or Any Other Recipe In My Blog, Please Feel Free To Leave A Comment Here Or Email Me At piyalimutha@gmail.com . For The Latest Updates Of My Blog And Loads Of Food Stories Stay Tuned To My Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard Accounts. Let The Food Adventure Continue In Your Kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment